[ntp:questions] NTP internal server?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 21:19:06 UTC 2006

In article <-7SdnWIhbMBktN_YnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d at megapath.net>,
hmurray at suespammers.org (Hal Murray) wrote:

> I'd expect you could get to a few seconds a week by hand tuning
> the drift.  That assumes your system is running in a reasonably
> stable temperature.

My home system manages better than a second a week, and that is with
the temperature only controlled during part of the day in winter, and
not at all in summer!  This is without frequency correction after the
initial calibration.

The last time I tried it with a system in the office (some years ago),
about 30 seconds a year would have been achieved if the air conditioning
hadn't broken down.  This is without either frequency or phase correction
after the initial calibration.

However, I agree with others that the actual current problem is a
human factors problem.  The wrong solution is being sought because
of an irrational rejection of the right one.