[ntp:questions] Is it possible to set NTP client to be 20 second behind NTP server?

linux at horizon.com linux at horizon.com
Sat Oct 28 09:55:26 UTC 2006

> During some application bug/feature our developers
> asked me to set one machine to be 20 second behind the
> other one.
> Is it possible to do this by tweaking NTP
> configuration?

Yes, using the "fudge <server> time1 <delta>" config line.
This can be set at run-time with ntpdc.

The fudge time is added to the measured offset (which is remote_time -
local_time) before ntpd steers the sum to 0.

So if you want a machine to be 20 seconds behind the time server
(remote_time - local_time = +20), then set "fudge <server> time1 -20".

If you want a machine to be 20 seconds ahead of the time server,
set "fudge <server> time1 20".

Or you could set one of the machines fast and one machine slow.
Your choice.