[ntp:questions] Suitable ntp.conf for public NTP server?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 29 08:53:09 UTC 2006

In article <LZSdnVUGeNWTw9nYnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Dennis Hilberg Jr <dhilberg at comcast.net> wrote:

> It works great.  So if/when my IP address changes, all I would have to do is
> update the A record in my web's DNS configs.  Which I think would be easier

ntpd never re-resolves domain names, so any servers which change address
are lost until the next reboot.

Also, as a correctly operated system would not change IP addresses except
after extended downtime, it is generally assumed that these IP address
changes are the result of a deliberate policy to frustrate the operation
of servers.  It may just be that you are currently operating under
circumstances where that policy isn't working well.

> server time-nw.nist.gov            iburst       # Microsoft Corporation,
> Redmond, WA

I know this one is aliased as the Microsoft one, but is it really run by
Microsoft, or do they just pay NIST to be able to use it in Windows?
>From what I've read, all the NIST servers are overloaded to the point
where they are not the best choice and this one may well be particularly
overloaded.