[ntp:questions] NTP internal server?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 30 22:08:50 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Richard>  Clearly
> Richard> most vendors do not do this!  In the case of OpenVMS it is
> Richard> understandable since the reference implementation contains enough
> Richard> "Unixisms" that it will not build on VMS (I've tried).
>
> While I do not know the particulars of OpenVMS, thre was code to support the
> building of ntp on VMS (perhaps OpenVMS) and nobody has sent in updated
> patches for a long time.
>
> If nobody intends to submit patches I would be happy to remove any old
> fragments from the codebase.

VMS Engineering did a port of 3-93 or 3-95 years ago and I don't think
anyone has done anything since.  I was unable to build a 4.x
distribution on VMS using the POSIX shell; the scripts didn't work.
Compiling things by hand didn't work either.  I don't recall the details
but there were calls to functions not part of the NTP distribution nor
part of the Standard C Run Time Library.

If you like, I can crank up the system, try it again and tell you where
it barfed.  I suspect though, that you have better things to do than
assist in a port to a niche O/S like VMS.