[ntp:questions] NTP internal server?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Oct 31 03:59:01 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Perhaps the vendors do fix security problems.  If so, the simplest
> approach, for most, would be to grab an up to date copy of the reference
> implementation, build it, and distribute it.   Clearly most vendors do
> not do this!  In the case of OpenVMS it is understandable since the
> reference implementation contains enough "Unixisms" that it will not
> build on VMS (I've tried).

Jason from the OpenVMS group has done this, though I don't know where
that code is or how OpenVMS distributes it. I decided against doing it
myself, mainly due to lack of time. Jason has stated that there are lots
of changes and I suspect some of them are more complicated than others.
We did offer to put them into our distribution so that it can keep more
in synch but apparently that would be a lot of work.

Danny