[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Chris Davies chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 09:45:18 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> I don't understand how they [the pool operators?] determine who can
> register an NTP pool server but if they accept addresses from anyone
> they have a major problem if it is true that it shouldn't have been
> added to the pool.

Anyone with a static IP and some bandwidth to spare can offer a server
to the Pool. However, the Pool actually only offers servers that it
has validated as giving "reasonably accurate" time (I believe that this
means accuracy to within about +/- 500ms, but offhand I can't remember).

The Pool offers fair-use ntp service to anyone who wants it. I know there
have been discussions about ntpd vs ntpdate, but the biggest problem
is users who have software that polls the pool servers at least once
every second.

> Additionally there is evidence that the server sometimes gives a totally
> incorrect answer but it's not clear to anyone why.

I suspect that the server may differentiate ntpdate queries and ntpd
queries, and gives duff information to ntpdate users or whose who query
"too frequently".

Does the OP's client respond to KoD packets? Does the server try issuing
them before sending duff date/time values?

> There's no information on the web site for the pool to indicate who
> owns or is the contact for this server.

Fair point. I'll raise this as a discussion issue on the Pool mailing list
(see https://fortytwo.ch/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo/timekeepers)

Chris