[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 1 22:12:00 UTC 2006

Per Hedeland wrote:
> In article <uj3js3-sv7.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de> Martin Burnicki
> <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:
>
>>Ronan Flood wrote:

>>>Perhaps rather than being retired, ntpdate should have the time-setting
>>>code removed and be renamed something like ntpping, with -qu always set.
>>>I for one find it a useful diagnostic tool in query-only and debug modes.
>>
>>Full ack. I very often use it for debugging and testing. The only thing I
>>find deprecated is to use the way it has been used before the -g option had
>>been introduced, namely to set the initial system time.
>>
>>I wouldn't even remove the capabiltiy to send requests via either a
>>priviledged or an unpriviledged port. This is very useful to check whether
>>there's some kind of firewall between the test system and the NTP server
>>which only allows for unpreviledged ports and blocks priviledged, or
>>vice-versa.
>

> This would actually have to be an enhancement - when wanting to check if
> the discussed server possibly used the source port to determine whether
> to give a bogus answer, I found somewhat to my surprise that it's not
> possible to have ntpdate use source port 123 without setting the clock.
> A patch to make -u independent of -q and -d is trivial of course, but
> where to send it?:-)
>
> --Per Hedeland
> per at hedeland.org

Since no one is maintaining ntpdate I don't believe that there is any
place to send a patch where it will actually get applied to the
distributed code.  (I may be wrong, it's a sometimes specialty of mine! :-)

I'd suggest posting it here, if it's small, or posting a link to
somewhere that people who need it can grab it.