[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Sep 3 19:42:52 UTC 2006

>>> In article <44FA4A86.7080905 at ntp.isc.org>, mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:

Danny> We'd also like to get rid of
Danny> ntpdc but that requires that ntpq supports some queries that it
Danny> cannot currently handle. ntpdc uses private mode 7 packets which is
Danny> much more difficult to maintain while ntpq uses mode 6 packets.

ntpq does standard mode 6 queries and should be portable across versions and
implementations.

ntpdc uses vendor-specific mode 7 queries.

There is no way to bring up new associations with mode 6 packets.

This functionality *can* be done with a mode 7 packet.

I would be happy to see ntpdc simplified (ie, get rid of anything that can
be done with ntpq), but I can also see the value in having a single program
that knows when to use a mode 6 packet and when to use a mode 7 packet.

After all, it is most convenient to see the current peer list when adding or
removing associations.