[ntp:questions] Re: time.ucla.edu is closed

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 21:59:29 UTC 2006

Felix Tilley wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:54:39 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:
>

>>NTP has never used TCP.
>>
>>Where did you see that this system has public access? The notice
>>attached to the list for tick (time is a CNAME) shows the following:
>>
>>AccessDetails: 	 Open access to stratum-2 servers and to UCLA clients.
>>
>>So why are you trying to access it?
>>
>>Danny
>

> This worked until a few days ago.  It was available to the public.
>
> echo "ntp0.cornell.edu"
> ntpdate -ub ntp0.cornell.edu
>
> echo "time.caltech.edu"
> ntpdate -ub time.caltech.edu
>
> echo "time.ucla.edu"
> ntpdate -ub time.ucla.edu
>

> echo "ntp2.usno.navy.mil"
> ntpdate -ub ntp2.usno.navy.mil

The fact that you could access it did not mean that your use was proper
or welcome!  My guess would be that too many people abused their
hospitality.

If you want a stratum one server, buy a GPS receiver and operate your
own!  If you are feeling generous, make it available to the public.

Given the ever growing supply of idiots on the internet (individual AND
corporate (Netgear, D-Link, etc.)) it wouldn't surprise me if more
public servers ceased to make themselves available.