[ntp:questions] Re: time.ucla.edu is closed

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Sep 5 03:28:16 UTC 2006

Felix Tilley wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:54:39 +0000, Danny Mayer wrote:
>

>> NTP has never used TCP.
>>
>> Where did you see that this system has public access? The notice
>> attached to the list for tick (time is a CNAME) shows the following:
>>
>> AccessDetails: 	 Open access to stratum-2 servers and to UCLA clients.
>>
>> So why are you trying to access it?
>>
>> Danny
>
> This worked until a few days ago.  It was available to the public.
>
> echo "time.ucla.edu"
> ntpdate -ub time.ucla.edu

Let me ask you again: Why are you trying to use it at all? You do not
fall into ANY of the groups  listed in the restrictions list. ntpdate is
also definitely does not meet any of the requirements since you are not
using an ntpd server as required.

You are using something that you shouldn't be using. Please stop using
it. Also review every one of the servers that you are using and make
sure you are meeting any and all restrictions required by the
administrators of those systems.

Danny