[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Sep 5 10:53:45 UTC 2006

Harlan,

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> If somebody expressed an interest in fixing this problem, I'd be inclined
> to ask them if they were interested in fixing the other problems with
> ntpdate.
>
> If they said "yes" then we'd have a maintainer for ntpdate and this would
> not be an issue.

As already mentioned in another article in this thread, I also find ntpdate
deprecated for its initial purpose, just to set the initial system time
before ntpd is started.

On the other hand ntpdate is really a great tool to run some quick tests
against an NTP server. It also runs under Windows (which sntp does not
yet), and I'm not aware of any major problems with ntpdate.

So maybe it should just be renamed to somthing like ntpping or so, as Ronan
has proposed, and it should just be taken as a test tool.

Heiko and I have already supplied some patches for ntpdate in the past which
fixed some problems under Windows, so I'd be happy if you pick me up as
maintainer for ntpdate.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki