[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 10:21:13 UTC 2006

In article <44FA1F44.6080305 at ntp.isc.org>,
mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> As I recall, the protocol requires that the source port be 123 but the

There is one mention of 123 in RFC 1305, but several places where it
says that the response is sent to the actual source port (RFC 1305 is
an atypical RFC, being written as an academic research paper, and that
sort of detail seems to be peripheral to the main, maths, content).

> ntpd reference server implementation does not enforce that. I don't

For several years now, it has been almost essential that it does respond
to client requests from other ports, because of network address translation.