[ntp:questions] Re: limitation on the client time/date at ntp startup

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 11:30:29 UTC 2006

In article <ecl43a$n38$1 at scrotar.nss.udel.edu>,
David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> Classic way to test NTP functionality is to stop ntpd, set the time by

This isn't a classic way because it hasn't been an available option for
long enough.  It's also not classic because it is not what people actually
do; what they actually do is to change the time on a running client (or,
if they are using an undisciplined local clock on the server, change the
time on a running server).

As I pointed out, it is also not a valid test because it fails to demonstrate
the phase locked loop in ntpd, which is the main part of ntpd, except in as
much that someone more knowldedgeable than the sort of person for which this
sort of demonstration is done, may be able to see the final convergence onto
the correct time and frequency.

If you really think it is a good test, I'm surprised that you have let so
many regulars here criticise people for doing these step change tests in the
past.