[ntp:questions] Re: NTP: time not synchronized

pdp pasdepoil at hotmail.fr
Tue Sep 5 13:10:28 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer a écrit :

> Actually you have given us no details whatsoever.
>
> 1) What version of ntpd are you running?
> 2) What does your clients' and server's config file contain?
> 3) What does ntpq show you for both clients and server?
> 4) How are you monitoring ntp?

So we are using ntpd 4.1.72 on every machine.
I will give you the result of the ntpq -p command for the server and
the 2 clients (one OK and a failed one)

               failed client:         OK client:            server:
remote         01S.ccadomain.com      01S.ccadomain.com     LOCAL(0)
refid          0.0.0.0                LCL                   LCL
stratum        16                     1                     0
type           unicast server         unicast server        Local Clock
when           -                      114                   25
poll           512                    256                   64
reach          0                      377                   377
delay          0.000                  44.713                0.000
offset         0.000                  -5.545                0.000
jitter         4000.00                80.834                0.001

To monitor, I'm using two tools, the fisrt one is "NTPMonitor
V5.0.6.28", with this tools I know the real offset between my machines
(Here I know that for the failed client the offset is 151 second, and
for the OK is 8.9 ms), and the second one is "NTP Time Server Monitor"
(this one show me the result of the ntpq -p command for every machine I
put in the configuration)

I present the ntp.conf I use (I verified, it is the same for every
client).

for the Time Server:
driftfile %windir%\ntp.drift
server 127.127.1.0

For both client:
driftfile %windir%\ntp.drift
server 173.17.0.1

The IP address of 01S.ccadomain.com is 173.17.0.1
All ntp.conf are situated in c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\

Just for information, I know that is not a good idea to use NTP without
synchronise on external server dedicated to this, but the system is not
connected to internet, and what we want it is just that all machines be
synchronised between them (if we have a difference with the real time,
and we have few minutes, it is not a big problem).

pdp.