[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20060905T113414 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Tue Sep 5 18:58:16 UTC 2006

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
> If IP V6 ever gets off the ground, there will be enough addresses to
> go around and this subterfuge will no longer be necessary.

This assumes the immediate problem is the actual IP shortage and not
the ISP's holding IP's hostage for extra fees.  Bulk IP addresses can
still be bought from ARIN for a few pennies per year per IP.

      http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html

> IP V6 does not appear to be going anywhere in a hurry though!  About
> three years ago, my then boss (manager of network services) saw me
> answer "Yes" to the IP V6 support question asked by Solaris
> Installation and screamed "No!". I had to explain to him that the
> box would still speak IP V4 to anyone who wanted to talk to it using
> V4 and could speak IP V6 to anyone who wanted to use it.  My little
> LinkSys Router hasn't a clue about IP V6.  Comcast is IP V4.  IP V6
> may be coming but it's by no means here yet!!!

Get a better ISP and better firmware for your router. ;-)

Sonic.net (SF Bay Area) gives you a v6 allocation along with a handful
of v4 IP's in the upgraded plans.

Your Linksys can probably have openwrt loaded on it.  My wrt-54g
happily routes v6 and even sets its time from my ntp server instead of
pestering some network server it has not permission to pester (OB:
ntp).

-wolfgang