[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 5 19:30:07 UTC 2006

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>
>>If IP V6 ever gets off the ground, there will be enough addresses to
>>go around and this subterfuge will no longer be necessary.
>

> This assumes the immediate problem is the actual IP shortage and not
> the ISP's holding IP's hostage for extra fees.  Bulk IP addresses can
> still be bought from ARIN for a few pennies per year per IP.
>
>       http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html
>

>>IP V6 does not appear to be going anywhere in a hurry though!  About
>>three years ago, my then boss (manager of network services) saw me
>>answer "Yes" to the IP V6 support question asked by Solaris
>>Installation and screamed "No!". I had to explain to him that the
>>box would still speak IP V4 to anyone who wanted to talk to it using
>>V4 and could speak IP V6 to anyone who wanted to use it.  My little
>>LinkSys Router hasn't a clue about IP V6.  Comcast is IP V4.  IP V6
>>may be coming but it's by no means here yet!!!
>

> Get a better ISP and better firmware for your router. ;-)

My choices are Comcast (broadband cable) and Verizon (ADSL).  Other than
those two there are no real choices in this area.  If I thought I could
afford $700/month I'd get T1 service.  If I hit the lottery for a couple
of million $ I just might do that.

I'm hoping to find a Cisco router; e.g. Cisco 91 or 831 at a price I can
afford; I don't think they support IP V6 either but at least they would
have a full implementation of the DHCP protocol.

<snip>