[ntp:questions] Re: Issues w/ 4.2.0a, multicast, and porting 4.2.2 to Fedora Core

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed Sep 6 15:58:34 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

>Harlan Stenn wrote:
>

>>Philip> ... Is there a reason that ntpd isn't just synchronizing with the
>>Philip> mulicast packets instead?
>>
>>The short answer is "yes".  Now, however, we have to get to the longer
>>answer.
>>
>>We have made changes to the interface code since 4.2.2 - I recommend you get
>>the latest ntp-dev tarball and start with it.  Please note that we are about
>>to start the countdown to the 4.2.4 release and I would very much like to
>>have a resolution to the issues you are seeing ASAP.  If it doesn't happen
>>in time for 4.2.4, I am planning to have the next release of NTP appear 6-8
>>months after 4.2.2.
>>

>Multicast works fine in 4.2.2. The changes to the interface code should
>not affect this. If it did, it would be a bug.
>
>Danny

What would I need to do to document if it is a bug?  What would the smoking
gun be?

I've got 4.2.2p3 building, but with some funky patches rolled over from the
FC5 distro of 4.2.0a.  I'm not sure what is necessary...  and the weak type
checking of K&R C lets you do some braindead things without any warnings.

I'll try building it without those patches and see if it makes any
difference.

-Philip