[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Sep 6 20:08:46 UTC 2006

>>> In article <slrnefu0en.fg1.serge.bets at laposte.net>, Serge Bets <serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid> writes:
>> So maybe [ntpdate] should just be renamed to somthing like ntpping or so,
>> as Ronan has proposed, and it should just be taken as a test tool.

Serge> Renaming such a widely used tool is likely to confuse users and
Serge> scripts.

I think you are missing the point.

At the moment, all I am seeing is that some people want to use some of the
functionality that ntpdate provides (apparently -u) because that is a
sometimes useful way to see if there is a firewall in the way.

As I understand it, ntpdate is being deprecated because it has bugs.  In
particular, the selection code is both out of date and buggy.

If some of ntpdate remains, it will, in all likelihood, not be able to set
the time.  Therefore, it should not have the same name as it did before, as
any existing scripts will rightly expect a program called ntpdate to set the
time.

I have already said that there will probably be a shell script that can
stand in for ntpdate.

So, to summarize what I have said before:

- If anybody thinks there are bugs in ntpd or sntp they should open
  bug reports at http://ntp.isc.org/bugs
- If anybody thinks of potential enhancements to ntpd or sntp they should
  open "enh" reports at http://ntp.isc.org/bugs
- If people want to discuss/track thoughts on the deprecation of ntpdate,
  until these thoughts become bugs or enhancements (see the previous 2
  bits), people can discuss these wherever they like and I would prefer
  to see at least summaries of the discussion at:

   http://ntp.isc.org/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate