[ntp:questions] Factoring/simplifying the sources

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Sep 9 18:24:18 UTC 2006

Well, I'd like to contribute to cleaning up the sources (it's a mania of
mine ;-), but all I have access to for building (and not always testing in
each case) is Linux FC5 on ia32 and x86_64 platforms...

If someone walks me through setting up and running Qemu I might
be able to install FreeBSD or some other OS to build and test on
that as well...  but that's about it.

My main concern isn't time, but rather making changes that work on
my platform but break it for someone else.

Unless the group has a cluster of servers that they can do hourly
builds on from the trunk...  Does it?

Also, what cross-reference tools can be scripted to find duplicate
function definitions and declarations (and maybe macros as well)
so we can reduce the number of duplications of code?  Cscope?
xref?  Is there a preferred methodology?

Thanks,

-Philip