[ntp:questions] Re: recvfrom(0.0.0.0) fd=51: Connection refused

Luc Pardon xntp at skopos.be
Sun Sep 10 09:25:38 UTC 2006

Hmmm, yes. And further down it says:

     You may use either a hostname or IP address on the server line.
     You must use an IP address on the restrict line.

This must be a mistake in that page. See the official docs at:

     http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/accopt.html

where it says:

    restrict address [mask mask] [flag][...]
     The address argument expressed in dotted-quad form is
     the address of a host or network. Alternatively, the
     address argument can be a valid host DNS name.

If you couldn't use hostnames, it would render access restrictions
rather useless. Many public servers ask that you use DNS names rather
than IP addresses. It doesn't seem to make sense to query them using the
hostname and "restrict" (allow the replies in) using a (volatile) IP.

Furthermore, hostnames work just fine, the replies are accepted. Have
been for at least five years or so.

That doesn't mean I'm not willing to change it if that helps diagnose
the problem.

Thanks for responding nonetheless.

Luc Pardon