[ntp:questions] specific interface (from: Re: recvfrom(0.0.0.0) fd=51: Connection refused)

Frank Kardel kardel at ntp.org
Tue Sep 12 12:18:53 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> writes:

>>>  If it is in -dev it will soon be in -stable.
>
> Frank> In the stable distribution this is enabled with the -L argument.
> Frank> Harlan, is there a reason why this was re-named ?
>
> By my read it has not changed.  -L means "Do not listen to virtual IPs" and
> does not take an argument.
>
> What am I missing?
Maybe lines 101-105 in ntpd/cmd_args.c in ntp-stable ?
The code/option seems to serve two purposes (explicative suggested here).

A plain -L with no arg disables listening to virtual interfaces. If another
arg follows that is taken additionally as the interface to listen to.

Beautiful semantics!

Or, mm I looking at the wrong thing ?

Frank