[ntp:questions] Re: recvfrom(0.0.0.0) fd=51: Connection refused

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Sep 12 21:31:02 UTC 2006

Luc Pardon wrote:

> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> I'm not sure if multiple -I flags work or not.  I know the command line
>> supports it, but I'm not sure if the underlying code does the right
>> thing or not.
>>

>     The current code seems to have only one variable (grep
> specific_interface ntpd/*.c). In case of multiple -I flags it will
> retain only one (most likely the last).
>
>     For this box, one -I is fine with me. For others, that might be a
> problem.
>
>     In any case, it looks like it will always listen on 127.0.0.1 and on
> the wildcard interface, there is no way to disable those.

Right. That was deliberate. You always want to listen on those addresses
as well as ::1 and ::. Is there and issue with that?

>>>     I didn't want to report it, for several reasons. One is that I
>>> wanted that "connection refused" strangeness out of the way ASAP.
>>> Another one is I'm not even sure that this -I stuff is supposed to
>>> work already - after all I pulled it out of dev.
>>
>> If it is in -dev it will soon be in -stable.
>>

>     Sure, but it might still be "work in progress". It seems so basic
> that, if the problem is real, anybody who tried -I must have seen it,
> including the developer(s). Usually that is an indication that the
> problem is at this end. I would want to rule that out before wasting
> people's time. Developers should develop sp we get new things to whine
> about <g>.

No, currently it's not work-in-progress. It's awaiting time to get the
listen-on address list into the config file as it really does not make a
lot of sense to put those on the command line.

Danny