[ntp:questions] Re: specific interface (from: Re: recvfrom(0.0.0.0) fd=51: Connection refused)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Sep 12 22:12:26 UTC 2006

Ah, it was not documented and I missed it in the converison.

I am perfectly happy separating this functionality into different switches.

>>> In article <x7mz95uvki.fsf_-_ at pip.kardel.name>, Frank Kardel <kardel at ntp.org> writes:

Frank> In the stable distribution this is enabled with the -L argument.
Frank> Harlan, is there a reason why this was re-named ?

H> By my read it has not changed.  -L means "Do not listen to virtual IPs"
H> and does not take an argument.

H> What am I missing?

Frank> Maybe lines 101-105 in ntpd/cmd_args.c in ntp-stable ?  The
Frank> code/option seems to serve two purposes (explicative suggested here).

Frank> A plain -L with no arg disables listening to virtual interfaces. If
Frank> another arg follows that is taken additionally as the interface to
Frank> listen to.

Frank> Beautiful semantics!

Frank> Or, mm I looking at the wrong thing ?