[ntp:questions] Re: Question about ntp log messages and logging interval

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Wed Sep 13 21:58:40 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> What can you do?  Try to find a server or two with a round trip delay
> less than twenty milliseconds.  Servers should be physically close to
> you; if you are in Los Angeles, don't consider servers in New York City!
> It may not be possible to find better servers than the ones you are
> using; good servers are in short supply!  If you really need, or want,
> precise time you could do as I and many others have done; buy a GPS
> timing receiver and operate your own stratum one server.  Or try a
> better internet connection.

What about configuring (3) from the pool (as he's doing) and picking one
from the Stratum 2 listing over at ntp.isc.org?  That would give a
pretty good handpicked server combined with 3 random servers from the pool.

http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers

(Being careful to follow the access policy and rules of engagement, of
course.)