[ntp:questions] Re: - my time server cannot sync

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 18:20:05 UTC 2006

Oláh Áron wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> I am using NTP on a Red Hat 7.3 system (HP DL 380 hardware). I would like to
> sync to a free Internet time server (time.kfki.hu). When I check the time
> server (ntpdate –d servername) everything is fine (example: stratum 2,
> offset 0,003564 etc), and if I sync to this server (ntpdate servername) then
> the sync is okay. But, if I run ntpq program, with –p switch, then the
> remote time server stratum field is 16.

Please post the full output of ntpq -p.  Something is wrong but with
only the information you have supplied, we can only guess at what the
problem might be.

Issue ntpq -p after ntpd has been running for at least fifteen minutes.
  Thirty minutes would be better.  You might also post the contents of
your ntp.conf file.