[ntp:questions] Choice of time servers

Bill Myers whmyers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 02:41:39 UTC 2006

I have two flavors of Stratum 2 servers -- some older Sun servers that are
basically out of capacity doing double duty as DNS cache servers, and a set
of new Compaq RH Linux servers.

The Sun servers are running +/- 0.3 ms offsets to the Stratum 1's with
default minpoll/maxpoll and other default settings.

The RH Linux servers are running +/- 1 ms, only after tweeking minpoll and
maxpoll to 6 (64sec) and using burst.  I had one that wouldn't settle down
even at 4 (16 sec) until we replaced it.  There is no load at all on these
servers.

Is this an expected result?