[ntp:questions] Re: Ntpdate - no server suitable for synchronization found

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Sep 21 22:18:04 UTC 2006

>>> In article <D3081BDF8E6A5D40A4E82155E83C865E010E2A01 at birdx1.corp.vaisala.com>, ian.harper at vaisala.com writes:

ian> If I run ntpdate from client against new server I get error "no server
ian> suitable for synchronization found"

This means that either you are not communicating with the new server or the
new server has not yet sync'd.

ian> If I run ntpdate against another older server it has no problems and
ian> instantly changes the time and shows the drift.

This means you are communicating with the old server and ntpd on that
machine is sync'd.

Have you seen http://ntp.isc.org/Support, sections 5 and 9?