[ntp:questions] Re: tinker step 0 (always slew) and kernel time discipline

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 22 22:12:50 UTC 2006

Joe Harvell wrote:

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> David Woolley wrote:
>>
>>> In article <ef19v5$kqn$1 at zcars129.ca.nortel.com>,
>>> Joe Harvell <harvell at nortel.com> wrote:
>

>> He would have been better off not using NTP at all!  The clock might
>> not have been accurate but it would never have stepped.
>>

> I couldn't agree more :)  I hope you guys realize this configuration is
> someone else's doing.  I'm just trying to get it fixed.

The first pointed question to ask: "Was anyone at all minding the store
for those 22 days?"  I mean it looks as if no one was paying any
attention to the NTP servers and no one was paying any attention to the
test system.  If someone was using it to test something, he couldn't
have been paying close attention to the results.

The second question to ask is "Couldn't the application be doing some
checking for 'impossible' results such as a call ending before it began?"