[ntp:questions] Re: Ntpdate - no server suitable for synchronization found

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Sun Sep 24 19:07:17 UTC 2006

xvenw at 163.com wrote:

> I don't think so ,I think this is a bug,I have recompiled the
> ntpdate,if I comment lines from 1791 to 1805,I can use "ntpdate -b
> server" to correct the time. otherwise,I must use "ntpdate -d server"
> or "ntpdate -u server" to correct the time.

That sounds deeply wrong; for one, "ntpdate -d" does not set the time.

Are you running ntpdate on a client system which is also running ntpd?
If so, ntpd will have allocated UDP port 123, which looks like why you
need to tell ntpdate not to try to use that port.  But there should have
been an obvious error message from ntpdate about it.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for