[ntp:questions] Re: ref clock for network POP locations

Eric nospam-01 at jensenresearch.com
Tue Sep 26 21:50:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:56:09 -0600, "Jeff W. Boote"
<boote at internet2.edu> wrote for the entire planet to see:

>I have some network locations where I have no way to access GPS or CDMA. But, I
>would still like to have a very accurate time source. (I would like
>sub-microsecond accuracy from NTPD if I can get it.) These locations are in
>telco-hotels, so they are typically very well shielded making any broadcast
>technology unworkable.
<snip>
>If this is a reasonable solution, does anyone have recommendations for
>oscillators? Most of the ones I have seen want a reference source of their own.
>This of course does not work in my case...

Dr. Mills has related stories of him synchronizing his (portable)
cesium clock at the USNO and carrying the time back to Delaware.  I
guess you could fire up a good oscillator locally and get a portable
one to resynchronize and carry the time into your building every few
months.

- Eric