[ntp:questions] Re: ref clock for network POP locations

Arthur.Porkchop at exemail.com.au Arthur.Porkchop at exemail.com.au
Thu Sep 28 11:49:16 UTC 2006

Heiko Gerstung wrote:

> We offer a NTP appliance that has its own free-running OCXO-HQ that is
> disciplined by NTP over the network. Using a very smooth filtering and
> applying only very small corrections allows us to get down to 50 to 100
> microsecond accuracy in an "ideal" network environment, i.e.
> crossover-cable.

I look after a national network (physical separations of thousands of
km, maybe 6 to 10 router hops apart) of NTP servers which used to have
a good network connection (high speed academic). Typically ntpd would
report offsets between these of less than 100 microseconds, with a FWHM
on the distribution of about 100 microseconds as well. So you CAN do as
well as point to point.

Cheers
Michael