[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Fri Sep 29 05:06:43 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
>> Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
>>
>> Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a
>> V4 ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
>> configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
>> compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
>>
>> Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
>> on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other
>> diagnostic  possibilities. All I know is that according to the
>> eventlog W32TM is trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and
>> gives up. It then marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are
>> free running like hell.
>>
>> ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
>> far...
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Heiko
>>

> I have successfully used the procedure given in the Brandolini and Green
>  white paper: "The Windows Time Service" on W2K and WXP.  Sorry, I don't
> have W2K3 to play with.
>
> net time /setsntp:<ip-address of server>
> net start w32time

That is exactly what does not seem to work.

> I believe that Microsoft generally does NOT reply unless you PAY them.

We have a few contacts to MS support, they come and ask us about our
products when their customers want to use them and we never charged them
a buck for this (I know, I know, that doesn't make a big difference ...)..

Thanks for your help,

best regards,
Heiko