[ntp:questions] Re: W2003 Server SP2 Problems with W32TM

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Fri Sep 29 05:01:46 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have a customer who has problems with synchronizing a Windows 2003
>> Server (SP2) with one of our NTP Servers (runs NTPv4).
>>

> There is no SP2 for W2K3, at least not yet.

OK, hopefully they told me the right OS after all :-)

>> Anyone who has successfully managed to sync her/his W2003 box with a V4
>> ntpd and who could give me some hints regarding the correct
>> configuration? Some kind of registry export would be nice, I could
>> compare such a thing with the one I have from the customers server...
>>

> Are you asking about running ntpd on Windows 2003 or changing where
> w32time looks to get its NTP packets?
Configuration of W32TM to use an NTP server for synchronization.

>> Oh, before you ask: No, it is not possible to install "real" NTP-stuff
>> on that machine, I cannot get any Ethereal dump or have other diagnostic
>>  possibilities. All I know is that according to the eventlog W32TM is
>> trying to synchronize, fails a couple of times and gives up. It then
>> marks itself "unsynchronized" and all clients are free running like hell.
>>

> I'll check when I get home as I am running W2k3 on my home machine. What
> exactly is the issue?
I currently have no access to the logs or machine (security
restrictions), but I will try to get more details. In the meantime,
would you be able to configure W32TM on your machine to use an NTP
server to sync and send me the corresponding registry branch export
containing the settings via mail? Only if you get it going, of course :-)

>> ... and yes, I asked Microsoft as well but did not receive a reply so
>> far...
>>

> Time will tell?
Hah! :-)

Best regards,