[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 07:03:00 UTC 2007

In article <878xdbquaj.fsf at arbol.wsrcc.com>,
"Wolfgang S. Rupprech" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200704 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (ref http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html) That comes out to ~5GByte per
> month.  I'm not sure my ISP will be that happy with me if I committed
> to that high an added load.  I would have much fewer worries if the

For comparison, home users of ADSL on the main UK wholesale supplier
are contended at a level that means that a monthly fair share of bandwidth
is about 12GB, so 5GB is a significant amount of bandwidth.

> The fastest way to break people of the habit of wiring in IP addresses
> would be to only allow dynamic hosts into pools.  Unless they use the
> hostname as they are instructed to, they won't get any time service
> after a while.

I think home users should be discouraged from being in the pools, because,
as well as easily using up a large part of their share of the access network
bandwidth, they are going to be particularly prone to variable delays due
to contention in the access network.

ADSL in the UK (and I think more generally) is actually carried by an
ATM packet switched network to the local exchange.  ADSL peak rates
far exceed an equal share of the bandwidth of the ATM network provided.