[ntp:questions] Clock skew changes drastically between reboots

Spoon devnull at localhost.com
Mon Apr 2 08:20:40 UTC 2007

Dmitry Ivanov wrote:

> Spoon wrote:
>
>> I've noticed something I find very strange on the systems I have to
>> work with. Every time I reboot the computer, the clock skew of the
>> local clock changes, sometimes by what seems to be a huge amount.
>>
>> For example, I boot the computer, let ntpd run for 12 hours, and the
>> value recorded in the drift file is 35 ppm. I reboot the computer, let
>> ntpd run for 12 hours, and I get 5 ppm...
>
> I see the same behaviour on many systems. Looks like common problem.

In your opinion, is it a hardware problem (voltage, something else?)
or a software problem (OS, something else?).

Did you see this behavior in Linux? Windows? Solaris? All the above?

If the problem persists on the same hardware with different OSes, one
might conclude that either it is a hardware problem, or all OSes take
the same steps that create the problem :-)

Regards.