[ntp:questions] Bad NTP servers jeopardizing the pool.ntp.org initiative

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Apr 2 12:09:56 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
>> Which point would that be? Having NTP servers with varying addresses is
>> a good idea?
>
> It appears to me that pools is on the verge of collapse from way too
> high a load.  There are only ~1000 pools servers right now.  (ref:
> http://www.pool.ntp.org/ right side bar.)  The load on each server is
> described as 5-15 packets per second for a data rate of 10-15kbit/sec.
> (ref http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html) That comes out to ~5GByte per
> month.  I'm not sure my ISP will be that happy with me if I committed
> to that high an added load.  I would have much fewer worries if the
> load were 1/10th what it is.  To do that pools has to expand to 10x
> its current size.  Opening pools to dynamic hosts would allow a
> significantly larger pool of host to apply.
>
> (* (/ 15e3 8) 60 60 24 30) 4.86 GBytes / month

I understand the load issue but that's not what's being discussed here.
Trying to use something that would make the situation worse doesn't help.

>> ... there are a lot of other NTP clients out there. We already have
>> cases of people hardcoding IP addresses of NTP servers without
>> unauthorization of the owner of the NTP server.
>
> The fastest way to break people of the habit of wiring in IP addresses
> would be to only allow dynamic hosts into pools.  Unless they use the
> hostname as they are instructed to, they won't get any time service
> after a while.

And as I keep saying, this is a set and forget situation. They set up
their NTP service, makes sure it's working at that moment and move on
and never go back to check.

Danny