[ntp:questions] ntp and date command

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Apr 5 00:02:42 UTC 2007

>>> In article <492977.28238.qm at web58512.mail.re3.yahoo.com>, csgonan at yahoo.com (Christine Ross) writes:

Christine> I am setting up a solaris 8 server as an v3 ntp client (using
Christine> public ntp servers).  I can change the date and time and then
Christine> start xntpd daemon with the start script and the time sets to the
Christine> correct time.  When I issue the "date" command, setting the clock
Christine> back 10 minutes, the time doesn't seem to get set.

If ntpd is running at the time you change the time with 'date', that's
probably your problem.

ntpd expects that it is the only thing messing with your clock.

I suspect that if you run the date command and then wait a while, you will
see ntpd fix things.  And it may take a while, depending on what
configuration and/or command line options you used.