[ntp:questions] GPS receivers were severely disrupted on 06 Dec 2006

Marc Brett usenet at fordson.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 10:12:56 UTC 2007

Was NTP affected by this?

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2831.htm

During an unprecedented solar eruption last December, researchers at Cornell
University confirmed solar radio bursts can have a serious impact on the Global
Positioning System (GPS) and other communication technologies using radio waves.

[...]

There are three key points to remember about solar radio bursts. "First, society
cannot become overly reliant on technology without an awareness and
understanding of the effects of future space weather disruptions," said Anthea
Coster, Ph.D., MIT Haystack Observatory. Second, the December 6 event
dramatically shows the effect of solar radio bursts is global and instantaneous.
"Third, and equally important, the size and timing of this burst were completely
unexpected and the largest ever detected. We do not know how often we can expect
solar radio bursts of this size or even larger."