[ntp:questions] Clock skew changes drastically between reboots

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Apr 5 23:31:01 UTC 2007

>Do you really need to reboot?  Microsoft is the only vendor of Operating
>Systems that seem to require regular reboots.  Most, if not all, of the
>others seem to be able to run for weeks, months or years between reboots.

Laptops reboot fairly often.  There are probably other cases
where saving power is important.

Even with a normally on system, I don't want a big transient
when the system gets rebooted.

Personally, I make graphs to keep an eye on things.  I watch
the drift wobble over a day as it tracks temperature.  I subtract
off the big offset from each system so they all land at roughly
0.  It's a pain to have to edit the offsets each time I reboot
those systems.