[ntp:questions] GPS receivers were severely disrupted on 06 Dec 2006

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Fri Apr 6 12:13:50 UTC 2007

Rick Jones wrote:
> Marc Brett <usenet at fordson.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Second, the December 6 event dramatically shows the effect of solar
>>radio bursts is global and instantaneous.
>

> Instantaneous?  I thought it took at least 8 minutes for something
> happening at the Sun to become "visible" near Earth?
>
> rick jones

in reference to earth front / back and surounding space.
probably spread about less than 100ms.

And the radio burst arrives the same moment any visible
phenomena appear ( at 300e3km/s ).

The particle stream ( 400..800km/s) takes a bit longer( ~50..100hours) and
then interacts with the earth magnetic field.

uwe