[ntp:questions] GPS and the December 5/6 Solar Flare

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 14:47:22 UTC 2007

On Apr 5, 6:51 pm, j... at febo.com (John Ackermann N8UR) wrote:
> For what it's worth, the attached plot shows what I saw.  This
> was the only significant signal strength anomaly in over one year of
> data capture.

Did the drop in strength cause any anomalies with ntpd? That is, was
sync with PPS "lost" during the signal drop? Do you have any loopstats
graphs that correspond to the same time period?

Very interesting stuff... I just realized that all of the stratum-1s I
was using for my organization have GPS as the source. I've
subsitituted a stratum-1 that uses ACTS instead to one of my local ntp
servers, but I am wondering if that is enough so handle a significant
GPS interruption. I have four local NTP servers serving two locations
with good connectivity, and each as at least one unique upstream
server.

As others have mentioned, though, this may be somewhat pointless: an
event that distrupts GPS for a long period is likely to have so many
other ill effects that I won't care much about my company's
network ;-). In building our disaster recovery plans, we had a bunch
of scenarios to which the answer was "we cease operations", because no
employee could be expected to worry about the company in the event of
truly major disaster.