[ntp:questions] GPS and the December 5/6 Solar Flare

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Apr 6 16:50:47 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:
> John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
>> David J Taylor said the following on 04/06/2007 02:26 AM:

>>> Could you please provide a URL for the plot, John?
>>> Attachments are not allowed in the text newsgroup.
>> It's at http://www.febo.com/pages/gps_solar_flare .  As of now there's
>> just an directory listing with the plot file, but I'll add a real
>> index page with some content when I get a chance.
>>
>> John
>
> Many thanks, John.  That's quite surprising (although I don't plot any GPS
> strength as a matter of routine so I'm not really in a position to
> comment).  I presume this affect is simply within the earth's atmosphere,
> rather than being any drop in ERP from the satellites themselves?

I suspect it's atmospheric or some ionization effect, and not an actual
change in the birds.  If I have the time/energy, I may do some more
analysis.  The data I logged includes the signal strength of each SV
being tracked, but unfortunately doesn't include the SV numbers.  So, I
can look to see if one or more birds were affected more than others, but
I can't link it back to individual orbits without the SV numbers.

John