[ntp:questions] Price of GPS receivers

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 17:25:09 UTC 2007

Spoon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to test a GPS receiver for time synchronization.
>
> Ideally, it would come as a PCI board with Linux 2.6 drivers,
> and I would run a cable to the antenna.
>
> I've looked at Meinberg's GPS170PCI:
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/products/gps170pci.htm
>
> But I was told it costs over 1000 euros...
>
> Are there GPS receivers in the 50-200 EUR price range?
>
> e.g. http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-refclk.htm#AEN4581
>
> The same page mentions DCF77 receivers.
> Do they work only in Germany?

They work anywhere that the signal reaches.  That means Germany and
perhaps any place within 200-300 KM of the transmitter.

> Are there other types of receivers?
>
> These look interesting:
> http://www.hkw-elektronik.de/englisch/products/equipment/engeeniering_radio.php
>

> In short, can I find a reference clock that costs less than 200 euros?
>
> Regards.

Unless you are very lucky, you won't get one that meets your
specifications!  If you drop the requirement for a PCI card and are
willing to do a little soldering, you can have a GPS refclock for less
than $100 US!   Take a look at the Garmin GPS18LVC.  You have to solder
an RS-232 connector and provide 5VDC somehow but the price is right!

If you DO find a GPS on a PCI card for less than 200 Euros, please let
us know; most of us will probably want one!