[ntp:questions] NTP behind NAT

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 17:33:54 UTC 2007

Spoon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does NTP work if I have two systems behind a NAT-router querying the
> same NTP server?

Yes.

> Does an NTP server keep track of who it has replied to?
It can.  I'm not certain that all do.

It's usually not a problem unless you are using broken software or firmware
that queries the server more frequently than once every 64 seconds.
Using "iburst" in the server statement for that server is acceptable;
the clients causing problems are those that query once per second
forever.  Hard as it may be to believe there have been some and many are
still in service.