[ntp:questions] GPS and the December 5/6 Solar Flare

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Fri Apr 6 17:30:39 UTC 2007

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

> I suspect it's atmospheric or some ionization effect, and not an actual
> change in the birds.  If I have the time/energy, I may do some more
> analysis.  The data I logged includes the signal strength of each SV
> being tracked, but unfortunately doesn't include the SV numbers.  So, I
> can look to see if one or more birds were affected more than others, but
> I can't link it back to individual orbits without the SV numbers.

You get the solar stuff as wideband noise
( look a bit around http://www.aip.de/groups/osra/ )
with some interesting profiles over time and frequency

Now if wideband QRN(or QRM) goes drastically up signal to
noise goes down for the GPS signal.
( The regular signal level is well below noise levels anyway )

uwe

I could request some data i have access to for that day.
unfortunately that instrument was only partialy working in
that period.