[ntp:questions] GPS and the December 5/6 Solar Flare

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Sat Apr 7 04:11:46 UTC 2007

On Apr 7, 6:40 am, m... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> You should drop the MIT servers. They are so far away network-wise it
> does you no good. Also it looks like you are too far way from the ones
> in Germany and France for them to be useful either. If you need
> additional servers you need to choose closer ones.

Danny,

As I said:

"All other servers are with the "noselect" keyword in their lines."

Those servers are for statistics purpose only.

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp1usvro_mrtg_offset.html

I still have a question unanswered: are there any method to pass over
a long GPS failure (say for several days or more) - supposing the GPS
is the
only source of time and the server have a very good (10E-12) PPS
source (Rubidium or Caesium) ?

I'll try to test a configuration with a generated NMEA RS232 signal
and a very
good PPS source to see what's happening in the event the time reported
by the "GPS" is bad after several days of being good.