[ntp:questions] ipv6 support on linux - bind problem

Rishi Malik rishi.malik at quantum.com
Fri Apr 6 21:09:23 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am trying to enable ipv6 support in ntpd, running on linux 2.4.21. I
was running 4.1.0, but have upgraded to the both the latest production,
and latest dev releases. With either of these versions, when I start
ntpd I get the following:

bash-2.05# ntpd -d -d

ntpd 4.2.4p0 at 1.1472-o Fri Apr  6 19:50:44 UTC 2007 (1)

addto_syslog: set_process_priority: Leave priority alone: priority_done
is <2>

addto_syslog: precision = 42.000 usec

create_sockets(123)

addto_syslog: ntp_io: estimated max descriptors: 1024, initial socket
boundary: 16

addto_syslog: Listening on interface #0 wildcard, 0.0.0.0#123 Disabled

addto_syslog: bind() fd 17, family 10, port 123, scope 0, addr ::,
in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=129 fails: Address already in use

addto_syslog: unable to bind to wildcard socket address :: - another
process may be running - EXITING

There is no other ntp process running, and netstat -l shows no process
bound to port 123. Removing ipv6 support from the kernel allows ntpd to
start up, but naturally I need ipv6 support. Any ideas what I'm doing
wrong?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

Rishi Malik

Rishi Malik::Firmware Engineer::Rishi.Malik at quantum.com
<mailto:Rishi.Malik at quantum.com> ::o720-249-5932::c303-396-3568

The information contained in this transmission is
confidential.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) or organization(s) to whom it is addressed.
Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution is not
permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in
writing by Quantum Corporation.  Furthermore, Quantum
Corporation is not responsible for the proper and complete
transmission of the substance of this communication or for
any delay in its receipt.