[ntp:questions] GPS and the December 5/6 Solar Flare

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 08:38:12 UTC 2007

Eugen COCA wrote:
> Other data available on this subject at:
>
> http://gps.ece.cornell.edu/spaceweather.html

Thanks for that pointer.  I do wonder slightly about these results.  They
state:

"The S4 index is quite high indicating the rapid variations of the signal
power caused by the solar radio burst. The S4 index is NOT high because of
ionospheric irregularities causing diffraction/refraction of the GPS
signal."

However, they seem to be measuring S/N, and elsewhere on that page they
show that the noise alone increased greatly.  So I don't quite see why
they are saying the satellite output power was less, when the decreased
S/N could simply have been due to increased noise (such as happens in
spring and autumn with Ku-band domestic TV at 11GHz when the sun passes
behind the satellite).

Perhaps they are actually saying "noise varies", although they say "signal
power varies".  At least, that's the way I read it!

Cheers,
David