[ntp:questions] ipv6 support on linux - bind problem

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Apr 7 16:11:25 UTC 2007

Rishi Malik wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to enable ipv6 support in ntpd, running on linux 2.4.21. I
> was running 4.1.0, but have upgraded to the both the latest production,
> and latest dev releases. With either of these versions, when I start
> ntpd I get the following:
>
> addto_syslog: unable to bind to wildcard socket address :: - another
> process may be running - EXITING

This definitely shows a problem. Either there is something else running
and binding to the wildcard IPv6 socket or there is a problem with
support of IPv6.

> There is no other ntp process running, and netstat -l shows no process
> bound to port 123. Removing ipv6 support from the kernel allows ntpd to
> start up, but naturally I need ipv6 support. Any ideas what I'm doing
> wrong?

Something is preventing it from binding to the IPv6 wildcard socket. You
should see a line like this in the netstat output for udp6:

udp6       0      0  *.123                  *.*

The actual line depends on the O/S. The above is from FreeBSD.

Do you have other applications on this system using IPv6?

Danny