[ntp:questions] Startup transient with missing drift file

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Apr 8 05:08:56 UTC 2007

What should it look like?  How long should it take to get stable?

I was expecting ntpd to think for a while, then jump to close to
the right value, then converge to the final value.  I'd expect
that to take an hour or so.

What I'm seeing (recent ntp-dev) is that the jump doesn't get
very close and the converge part takes multiple hours, depending
upon how far off the jump was.

Has anybody else watched a startup transient recently?

I've been looking at a lot of them while chasing a Linux
glitch that doesn't compute the CPU frequency repeatably.

What should happen if I start with an explicit drift value
that is way off?